Sunday, June 1, 2008

Just keep swimming swimming swimming

Well I guess it is time once again to give an update. Since my arrival I have been thrown into New Zealand culture and oh is it interesting. I thought I would have no problem understanding what people are saying with their accents, but on the contrary I am really struggling. I keep having to say "what? sorry I can't hear you, Huh?" etc. I have just finished my first week of swimming. By the end of the week I was able to finish an entire workout...I might have cheated a bit, but I made it to the end. So while I am in the pool area, I usually have no problem translating what coaches tell me through the echo and loud continuous noises. Now that there is an accent attached to that I can not understand a word!! It is so frustrating and I have gotten to the point where I just smile and nod...a lot.

Now that I live on the other side of the world I am also driving on the other side of the road. I really had to focus at first because I would always turn into the wrong lane if I wasn't thinking about it. After driving on the wrong side of the road I actually prefer it to the American way. I love that the indicator is on the right side instead of the left and for some reason it just seems easier. So if anyone is traveling to a country where they drive on the wrong side of the road and need some one to navigate I would be happy to oblige.

The dominant race here is Polynesian, Maori, and Samoan. I am not sure whether I spelled those correctly but I am sure you know what I am saying. When I go to church I am nearly the only white person there!! Its a real shock and I stand out even more because I am at least 6 inches taller than everyone. I haven't really found any of the men attractive which is a great relief to my mother who was afraid I would marry one of them. Wait...I guess that's kind of a lie because I did find the surf saver guys nice to look at. Surf saving is a huge sport out here where they compete in life saving in beaches. Weird, but it's quite popular.

I have just got a job coaching the youth squads at the youth squads on the team I train with. The kids are completely fascinated with my accent. Its really funny and and the kids are really nice. The guys I coach with are really fun as well so I have a great set up. I am just so amazed with how much the coaches here care about the kids and the quality of training they get. So different from the States!! I am also going to be teaching at the swim school so I will have a very full schedule!! I am really excited to get back in shape. I shoulders have grown so much already! I did an ab set with the kids on Saturday and I came home so sore!! How pathetic!!

So all in all...Training is great, coaching is fun, I stand out like a sore thumb, and the food is amazing. I think I might grow really attached to New Zealand, its been the prefect fit so far but I promise I will come home for the summer at least

Shout out to Miss Anderson and all my NY kids...I love you!!!

4 comments:

  1. I miss you Sarah! I'm so proud that you posted. Don’t fall too in love with New Zealand, because you promised to come back and play! Did you watch LOST! We really should discuss! Have a great time swimming and please quickly learn that amazing New Zealand accent. When do I get to see pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! I'm so jealous. I miss my love love love. I have a blog too, so check it out! let me know what's going on with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah! I found you from your facebook page. I am so jealous you are in New Zealand! Vinny keeps telling me that we need to move there and when I tell him that it is too far away from family and too expensive to go visit them he says that we just need to get all of them to move there too! I would love to go visit someday. And back in the pool...wow. I would die if I went and tried to do a workout now. Are you training for anything specific? Keep up the blogging! It's fun to read about your experiences. Hope you don't mind if I link you up from my blog so I can keep up better with you. Have fun and good luck with your swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I swear I'm going to email back in the next century. Anyway, I tagged you, so check out my blog. If you don't know what it is, just read it and it's not too hard to figure it out. Hope you're having fun!!

    ReplyDelete