Thursday, September 15, 2011

Picture Day

           Yesterday was a very traumatic day. I went to the DMV and surrendered my Texas drivers license for a New Jersey license. Sad, sad day indeed. I promised myself that I will once again have a Texas license...some days. To make the experience as positive as possible I planned to arrive very early in the morning to escape lines and also to make sure that I did my hair and put my face on for a flawless picture. Needless to say things did not happen as planned. I was 30 minutes behind schedule when I set off for the DMV and I got lost walking from the train station which rendered a 1.5 mile walk which should have been a .3 mile walk. I was sweaty, gross, and all preparations for a flawless picture were lost.

           Thankfully I did not wait long to get to the counter however, the person I got stuck with at the counter directly informed me that it was her first day so things may take longer than usual. Lovely. Not only did it take 30 minutes her for to fill out a 1 page form, but she entered a lot of my information incorrectly. She eventually asked me to sit so I wasn't standing for forever. After another 20 min I finally got called to have my picture taken and get my license printed. I immediately walked over to stand in front of a blue wall and have a photo taken. After the first shot the women taking the photos gave me a look of disgust and suggests I do another one. So I do another and I get the same result as well as a comment of "you were not ready to get your picture taken today were you". I smiled grimly and stated that I would have been ready if I have not had to endure a 25 minute walk in the heat as well as standing around in frustration for 50 minutes. We took one more and at that point I didn't care what I looked like. She printed my license and it was not as awful as I thought it would be, however, there was a giant white spot on my forehead. Not a flash spot, but something that looked like the printer ran out of ink. I was just waiting for this women to start recommending plastic surgeon's that could fix my non-photogenic face, but I bolted out of there before she could say anything.

          On a more positive note I am glad to report that Hoboken is divine! I think it is a hidden treasure in the east coast and I would recommend that any person wanting to move to NYC think otherwise. Rent is a steal, the town is gorgeous and right on the Hudson River, the food is fantastic, and it's a 10 minute train ride to mid-town. The view of the city is breath taking and I often take walks on the piers. I am however dreading the winter, I think I will cry. I am ashamed to say that I have not gone to any broadway shows yet, but I am very interested in see How to Succeed in Business, War Horses, Spider Man and also hit up the ballet for Romeo and Juliet. Gotta love lotteries and student rush!

Here is a good picture of the University. The athletics building is directly behind the field and where I now practically live.


Walk through campus



          The college season starts on the 19th. Very, very, very excited and anxious to get started. My mid-distance swimmers are going to love me (insert evil smile here).

2 comments:

  1. Sarah! So glad you are back! I didn't realize it was Hoboken that you're living in, that's where John, my formber boss lives. Isn't it great? If I ever moved to Jersey that's definitely where I'd live. Have you taken the ferry into the city yet? It's awesome.
    We'll have to get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to see Warhorse and How to Succeed in Business. I just haven't made it up there recently. Let me know when you're going--it'd be fun to go with you!

    ReplyDelete