Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Redemption!

A year ago, I was in a very uncomfortable position. I wanted to make a leap into the college coaching scene by doing swim camps. I applied to the UT swim camp, but was rejected. I also ended up having the pool for my club team stolen by the aquatics director who decided to start a team of their own. It was a very depressing time. However, things have turned around quite dramatically this year. I am now in a job I love coaching at Southwestern University and was also accepted into both UT and A&M swim camps as a coach/counselor. I was stewing over which camp to choose when I came up with a brilliant solution, why not do both? So I am now going to be doing a straight 7 weeks of swim camps starting at the end of May. I am so excited, but I have a feeling I will want to die a couple weeks in.

Last week a member of the US Olympic committee and sport research director came to speak at Southwestern. I don't remember the guys name. During his presentation he showed numerous pictures of athletes and would ask the audience who they were. I began to feel quite uneducated about sports as picture after picture would appear and I would have no idea who they were yet others knew them all immediately along with every stat and detail about their performance. After about 20 pictures were identified a very familiar one was projected showing a line of men all dressed in black. The audience was in complete silence. The presenter seemed to have the sense that he finally stumped us all when I shouted with great pride and enthusiasm (maybe a little too loudly) "ALL BLACKS!". Everyone turned around and stared at me. The presenter was shocked and as a result gave me a t-shirt. I was so happy and felt as though I was now the top dog. I shall never doubt myself again.

1 comment: