Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I got the job :)

The great news I have been waiting to officially tell everyone is that I am the new head coach for the Torpedo's. I am so very excited and can't believe this happened. I have big plans for next season and I just hope that all goes smoothly my first year at the helm. I have been working with the UT women's team quite a bit over the past few months and Kim (the head coach) has become the only coach I have ever actually admired and not found anything remotely bad about. She recently attended the national coaches convention at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. They have this once a year and only coaches with athletes on the national team are invited. Kim told me that only 5 women were in attendance. I couldn't believe that there weren't more. It actually works out better for me I think because women are in high demand and I work so much better with men than women. Kim told me she would email me her notes. My jaw dropped, i couldn't believe she was going to give me something that less than 1% of the coaching population gets to see/hear. She has 30+ pages of notes on everything from all the top coaches and athletes in the world. Its complete genius. I only wish I had an opportunity to swim for Kim or at least meet her much much earlier in my career.

The UT men won the national championship this year quite amazingly. Half the team was in the emergency room from some kind of virus. All the guys I trained with when i was swimming for Randy are still there. My kids had a meet at UT a couple of weeks ago and one of them told me that they wanted to meet their idol, Aaron Piersol. So I brought her over to Aaron (practice ended as the meet started) and asked him to meet one of my kids. He did so, but was not happy about it. I was hoping that little Victoria wouldn't notice his bad manners, but of course she picked up on it. I tried to make excuses for him when she asked why he wasn't happy to see her. Aaron is no longer her favorite swimmer. I keep losing more and more respect for the UT men's team the more I am around them. Guy swimmers in general are not the best people in the world...they aren't the best coaches in the world either.

Some pics :)


No comments:

Post a Comment