Thursday, April 9, 2009

What Red Button?!?!

Today everything went as usual. Morning doctors appointment, answering team/parent emails, workout, and then I went to work. While at work things were going well. Kids were in the middle of their main set when I noticed huge explosion of water in the pump area. Me and my coaching partner Steve were stunned and started running around trying to figure out what happened. One of the huge main pipe thingys cracked or fell off or whatever. So for those of you who haven't seen me around cars, or pipes, or anything that requires a mechanics eye, I am no better than a 6 year old. I called everyone and of course no one answers the phone. I finally get my boss who tells me she can't be there right away and is trying to explain how to turn off the main pump.

"OK, don't panic. Just go into the pump room and right next to the chemicals there are a bunch of grey boxes on the walls and on the side there are 2 big red buttons. Press both buttons."

So I go and look, but I cannot find anything that looks remotely like a button, let alone anything red. I looked all over the sides of the walls! It was one of those moments where you truly feel like an idiot. A few minutes later another coach came by and showed us where the buttons were. Not only where the buttons NOT red, but they were hidden on the side of one of the boxes, not a wall...there was no way I would have ever found those buttons.

So my seemingly uneventful day turned into a very enlightening one. Who knew that I had become the latest target for terrorist (aka parents) attacks! Unfortunately their plot to destroy me failed! I thought that the pump room was a very clever way to distract me and put me in a situation where I was the most vulnerable to public scorn, but I kept my cool and found the red button!!....sort of.

Am I a hero? Yes, yes I think I might be...

No comments:

Post a Comment